Mental Health Association of Fauquier
The Mental Health Association of Fauquier County (MHAFC) is a grassroots advocacy and action group dedicated to 1) increasing awareness of behavioral health issues in Fauquier and Rappahannock, 2) decreasing the stigma often associated with mental illness and addiction, and 3) assuring that local residents have timely access to behavioral health treatment and supports when needed.
• Due to stigma and inability to find appropriate treatment, the average length of time between a person experiencing mental health symptoms and getting treatment is 10 years!
• Adolescents who start using alcohol or drugs at age 13 or younger have a 70% chance of developing an addiction, and the age of first use in Fauquier is now 13!
With your help, MHAFC can continue to:
1. Promote and provide Mental Health First Aid classes and other educational workshops
2. Provide leadership for the Youth and Family Initiative to combat substance use, addiction and mental health problems
3. Work with the Fauquier Free Clinic and other partners to integrate mental health treatment and medical care in our community
4. Provide information and referral for families seeking behavioral health care